While you will need an electrician to check your wiring for any signs of malfunctioning, there are certain things that you can look out for. If you notice any of these, it could be a sign that it is time for an upgrade and you should contact a professional as soon as possible.
- When switching on any appliance, you may notice that the lighting becomes dimmer or flickers.
- If rooms in the home do not have as many power outlets as you require, and you often find that you need to use extension cords, this may signify that your wiring system is out of date. Installing a new system will allow you to have more options when it comes to plugging things in and you won’t overload the system.
- If your electrical system cannot handle the load, you may find that it trips often.
- Any house that was built before 1994, may have an outdated electrical system. If you have owned a property for more than 25 years, and have never had it rewired, there is a significant chance that it will require an update.
- Power outlets that are stained are a very serious issue and could be a fire hazard. The staining occurs as a result of power surges and this should be addressed as soon as possible.
It can be challenging for you to know when your house needs rewiring without the assistance of a qualified electrician. This further demonstrates the importance of having your wiring routinely checked.
When your electrician has tested the system, there may be signs that it is time to upgrade. If the electric system is out of date or has stopped performing as it should do, the electrician will advise that it is updated.
It is also important to keep in mind that if any alterations have been made to your existing system, this may require your old wiring to be updated. Furthermore, any changes that are made need to conform to building regulations.