For all-electric or hybrid cars
Electric Car Charging Points
MJP Electrical can fit home charging stations for your all-electric or plug-in hybrid car at your home. What does this mean to you?
Check to see if you are eligable for the OLEV Grant, get a quote and book an installation by clicking the link below.
We are now using the latest technology to be more efficient, saving you time and money!!
Why get a home charging installation by us?
Download our FREE Guide - 7 Reasons to have a 'fit for purpose' EV charging point installed
Our guide covers the causes of electrical hazards and fires, tell-tale signs that your home may be at risk along with the consequences of what could go wrong if you have faulty or dangerous wiring or appliances.
Take a look at your free guide, 7 Reasons to have a ‘fit for purpose’ EV charging point installed today.
Hundreds of happy customers
- Jim G
Mark did a reworking of the electrics in our home. He arrived promptly and was very neat and tidy with his work and clearly took pride in the finished result. thanks Mark.
Mark has carried out various projects for me commercially and at home - of different sizes. He always makes all the costs really clear and goes to great pains to track down items that fit within my budget. Service is always exceptional, punctual and everywhere is always left spotless. Thanks - 5 star!
- S Hartley
Very happy with the rewire of our house. After failing an inspection alot of work needed doing to get the place up to standard. Not the cheapest but experience has taught us that 'you get what you pay for' so to have everything sorted with no after pains is great! A very tidy job, a few amendments to the original fittings including alarms, sensors, a fan,and everything is safe and signed off.Very happy and would definitely recommend.
We employed Mark and his team to fully re-wire our property. They were courteous, professional and extremely efficient. Although traditionally a messy job, the lads kept the disruption to a minimum. I would not hesitate to use their services again, and would thoroughly recommend using MJP Electrical for any works needed.
- Nicholas Cussen
I can’t recommend MJP Electrical any more highly. I’ve used Mark on a number of occasions for several different jobs and always found the service to be top notch and the quality of his work second to none. It is brilliant to have an electrician in Bristol that I know I can rely on to do great work every time.
I've used MJP Electrical based in Bristol for my electrical work for several years now. They always deliver an excellent service. Most recently I had an EV charge point (Pod Point) installed. Despite the COVID-19 restrictions they were able to safely carry out the work observing social distancing at all times due to the work being outside. I have no hesitation in recommending them.
Frequently asked questions
Let us answer your important questions
A: Installation varies but standard installation is around £350
A: The cost to charge an electric car in the UK varies between home, work and public charging. For a typical electric car with a 60kWh battery and ~200 mile range: Charging at home: Costs about £8.40 for a full charge.
A: To have a home charge point installed for your car you need to have:
1. Dedicated off-street parking,
2. Wi-Fi connection at your property or a SIM router with a 3G or 4G SIM (for Pod Point home chargers),
3. Permission from your landlord (if you’re renting),
4. Home in mainland Great Britain.
A: Time to charge an electric car can take as little as 30 minutes or up to 12 hours. The time it takes to charge depends on the size of the battery and the speed of the charging point. A typical electric car (Nissan LEAF 30kWh) takes 4 hours to charge from empty with a 7kW home charging point
A: The OLEV Grant, also known as Electric Vehicle Home charge Scheme (EVHS), provides £350 off the cost of purchasing & installing a home charging point and can be claimed on the majority of plug-in vehicles on today’s market. You can claim one charging per eligible vehicle and up to two charging points per household.
A: To qualify for OLEV’s EVHS grant, you need to have leased an eligible electric or plug-in hybrid vehicle for at least six months, or have purchased one on or after 1st October 2016 onwards. You must have off-street parking. You must install an OLEV-approved chargepoint.
- Faster home charging for your electric vehicle
- A wall fixed charging solution for your convenience; A future proofed installation allowing all makes and models to charge on the charge point
- Expert Installation by a fully-trained and certified MJP Electrician, for your peace of mind
- A 16/32 amp Charging Point that is universal for all vehicles, giving you faster and more convenient charging at home.
- Home suitability survey to enable your charging point installation with no hidden extras. Survey and standard installation* is undertaken by a fully-trained and certified MJP Employee prior to installation
- Installation of a dedicated circuit, separate from your home electrical circuit, allowing for faster and safer charging that won’t affect your home wiring
- The installation of an Earth Rod, to prove compliance with the Code Of Practice for Electrical vehicles and BS7671:2018.
- A competitive 3 Year OLEV enabled Charging Point Manufacturer warranty including Parts and Labour.
- Charging Point installed to BS7671:2018.
- The chosen WallPod Charge Point Tethered or Untethered
- A maximum run of 10 metres from the source of supply (consumer unit) to charge point (not including external containment or steel wire armour (SWA))
- The property’s consumer unit must be RCD protected and have a spare way for protecting the outgoing charge point circuit
- Cable to be surface mounted – clipped direct
- No ground works
- The property must have an earthing arrangement complying with current regulations or we will include the installation of an Earth Rod
- The property must have main protective bonding in place if required to the gas meter and water stop cock.
- The property must be able to support the addition of the new charge point to the existing supply cut out.
- The homeowner must comply with all current OLEV Domestic Scheme Terms and Conditions (see OLEV Website)
A: The typical cost for a home charge point and installation is approximately £1000. As part of its Electric Vehicle Homecharge scheme, OLEV currently offers applicants £350 towards this cost.
A: Average range £800 – £1200
A: All electric cars usually come with a standard charging cable (slow charger) which can plug into the car and a normal wall socket, via a domestic socket – the same kind you’d use to power a microwave or phone charger.
A: Office for Low Emission Vehicles
The Office for Low Emission Vehicles (OLEV) is a team working across government to support the early market for ultra-low emission vehicles (ULEV).
A: For most of us, a few times a year. That’s when you’d want a rapid charge of under 45 minutes or so. The rest of the time, slow charging is just fine. It turns out most electric-car drivers don’t even bother to plug in every night, or necessarily to fully charge.
A: To qualify for the plug-in car grant, you must be purchasing a brand new qualifying electric vehicle.
- Only certain plug-in vehicles are eligible for the grant.
- The vehicle must have an electric range of at least 70 miles.
- If plug-in hybrid, the vehicle must also have combined CO2 emissions of 50g/km or less.
- This means all major full battery electric vehicles (BEVs) qualify, but few plug-in hybrid electric vehicles (PHEVs) are eligible.
- To provide evidence of ownership of, or access to, a plug-in vehicle in order to be able to qualify for the governments subsidised funding scheme
- Off-Street parking
- Suitability of the proposed site for the installation services (the surveyor will advise on this)
- Permission from the homeowner or landlord if you don’t own the property
- If the Charging Point is to be located in a garage, the garage must be physically attached to the main building unless it has its own power supply with sufficient capacity to support your 16 amp or 32 amp rated charger
- You have not claimed for the OLEV grant prior to your application.