A: Electrical installation condition report
As a homeowner, you want the peace of mind that the electrics in your home are safe. The building regulations require your electrical installation is tested every ten years if you own your home, and every five years if you are a landlord or live in rented accommodation.
The Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR), previously known as the Periodic Inspection Report, is carried out by a qualified electrician and involves the following:
- Inspection of earthing system and supply characteristics.
- Inspection of the consumer unit or fuse board.
- Inspection of methods of installation and wiring.
- Inspection of a sample of switches, sockets and other fixtures including light fittings.
- Checking and testing the polarity of the installation.
- Checking and testing earth continuity of circuits.
- Checking and testing the integrity of the insulation of cabling
- Testing protective devices to ensure they work to protect you and your family from electric shock.