If you have been shocked:
If you receive an electric shock, it might be difficult for you to do anything straight away. You may be stunned, have fallen over and maybe injured yourself. But try to start with the following if you think you’ve been severely shocked:
- Let go of the electric source as soon as you can.
- If you can, call 999 or local emergency services. If you can’t, call out for someone else around you who may be able to make that phone call.
- Don’t move, unless you need to move away from the electric source.
If the shock feels minor:
- See a doctor as soon as you can, even if you don’t have any noticeable symptoms. Remember, some internal injuries are hard to detect at first.
- In the meantime, cover any burns with sterile gauze. Don’t use adhesive bandages or anything else that might stick to the burn.
If someone else has been shocked
If someone else receives a shock, keep several things in mind both to help them and keep yourself safe:
- Don’t touch someone who has been shocked if they’re still in contact with the source of electricity.
- Don’t move someone who has been shocked, unless they’re in danger of further shock.
- Turn off the flow of electricity if possible. If you can’t, move the source of electricity away from the person using a non-conducting object. Wood and rubber are both good options. Just make sure you don’t use anything that’s wet or metal-based.
- Call 999 if the person has trouble breathing, loses consciousness, has seizures, has muscle pain or numbness, or is feeling symptoms of a heart issue, including a fast heartbeat.
- Check the person’s breathing and pulse. If necessary, start CPR until emergency help arrives.
- If the person is showing signs of shock, such as vomiting or becoming faint or very pale, elevate their legs and feet slightly, unless this causes too much pain.
- Cover burns with sterile gauze if you can. Don’t use Band-Aids or anything else that might stick to the burn.
- Keep the person warm.
MJP Electrical takes Electrical Safety seriously and so should you. If you are at all unsure as to the safety of your electrical system or appliances, get it touch with MJP Electrical who will be able to perform safety checks, ensuring the safety of your electrics and giving you peace of mind.